A refreshing treat from Chef Joanne Weir.
The apricots of Austria’s Wachau Valley have earned its “protected designation of origin” status from the European Union for their enticing delights, known to be made into jams, brandies and liqueurs. You can enjoy their sweet taste during our included Apricots and Sweets Special Interest Tour in Dürnstein, Austria – available on many of our Danube River itineraries!
AmaWaterways has been proud to partner with Chef Joanne Weir of PBS’s Plates & Places and welcomed her for her third river cruise aboard AmaMagna on the Danube River to film for several episodes of the show’s third season, which launched January 2020. Chef Weir then joined us for a Sip & Sail virtual event in June 2020 where she shared some of her favorite apricot recipes.
Beat the heat or simply indulge in this refreshing treat year-round with Chef Weir’s delicious apricot ice cream recipe below.
- 2 pounds ripe fresh apricots
- 1/3 cup sugar
Ice Cream Base
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- Cut the apricot into quarters. Place the apricots, sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and simmer over medium low heat, stirring often, until the apricots are very soft, falling apart and the mixture is thick, about 20 to 25 minutes. Puree the mixture in a food processor until smooth. Measure 2 cups of the apricot puree and set aside in the refrigerator. Save the remainder for another use.
- For the ice cream, place the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk together just long enough to break them up. In a saucepan, combine the milk, heavy cream and sugar. Over medium heat, heat the milk and cream until it bubbles around the edges and a skin forms on top, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the milk and cream mixture from the heat and very slowly add the milk/cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to 160°F or just until it begins to thicken and coats a wooden spoon. Immediately remove from the heat, strain the mixture into a clean bowl and whisk very quickly, approximately 20 seconds. Chill the mixture until ice cold in the refrigerator.
- Add equal amounts of apricot puree and the ice cream base together. Freeze according to the instructions with your particular ice cream maker.
Makes approximately 1 quart.
Experience the golden taste of Wachau Valley’s apricots while sailing on one our Danube River cruises, including the Magna on the Danube, Romantic Danube, Melodies on the Danube and Blue Danube Discovery itineraries.